How do I prepare, lay and maintain my Kings Pride grass
Read the step by step guide for tips on how to prepare, lay and maintain your Kings Pride turf.
I have a lot of shade in my yard with big trees and a high wall making one side only receiving 2 to 3 hours of sun in mid summer. Will Kings Pride grow there?
Kings Pride has out performed the grass generally recognised as most shade tolerant warm season grass Durban Grass in areas such as this and producing a far better quality sward. (See Photo).
How does Kings Pride compare in shade with other Buffalos?
In a national trial conducted so far over three years Kings Pride has been the outstanding shade performer at all sites.
I have a large dog and need something which will take its wear?
Kings Pride in wear trials has to be the top grass for recovery and the equal top for resisting wear.
Does Kings Pride need lots of water?
It is one of the best Buffalos in this regard but, like all Buffalos, it needs a little more water than Couch.
Does it need a lot of fertiliser?
If you fertilise it it will be very vigorous and have a wonderful colour. However even on little fertiliser it still has very good colour. It is best to fertilise in late Autumn for improved Winter colour and in early Spring to get it off to a flying start. It probably won’t need any Summer fertilising.
Does dog urine damage Kings Pride?
Most Buffalos tolerate female dog urine fairly well but Kings Pride is better than most, showing little yellowing especially if watered lightly soon after the urine is deposited.
Do weeds pose a problem for control in Kings Pride?
The natural density of Kings Pride tends to block out most weeds. However Kings Pride will not be damaged by any registered weed killer which is applied properly and at the correct rate. If you need special help on this front phone our free hotline number – 1300 756195
Is Kings Pride Buffalo frost resistant?
Below is an example of how Kings Pride has performed 5 days after a -2 degree temperature in mid July in Windsor NSW 2756. As you can see the same area is still green.
What are some tips for getting the best out of your Kings Pride Lawn?
- Don’t over fertilise it or you will make it too vigorous and create unnecessary mowing.
- It grows exceptionally well in both sun and shade and will out compete the acknowledged shade grass Durban Grass in heavily shaded mown situations.
- Keep your mowing height low to prevent thatch build up which is so characteristic of other buffalos. If in doing this your lawn scalps in places, then you need to top dress around the scalped area with sand to make the lawn smoother.
- It is very important if laying a new lawn to get the surface soil firm enough to walk on without leaving foot prints before you lay the grass. It is important to take out any bumps and low spots with a long straight edge (a dummy rake) or a wide level.
- When laying grass in a shady situation, especially under a tree it is sometimes better to leave 0.5m circle around the tree and let the grass runners grow into the unturfed area. This will give them a better comfort zone than trying to establish new roots from turf if it is not getting enough light.
- Remember that if grass is under a tree it needs more fertilise and water than if it is in the open because it is competing with the tree roots for both water and nutrients.
- It pays to decompact heavily trafficked areas about once a year to help the roots survive.
- Thatch development is greatest when varieties are very upright in growth, have very short internodes and high lateral branching. Management practices such as excessive fertiliser, mowing too high and mowing infrequently increase thatch accumulation.